As a master facilitator, I work with small and large groups to conduct meetings, retreats, workshops, and extended trainings. I am a BoardSource Certified Governance Trainer.
One of my key roles as a facilitator is to "hold the space" and create a safe atmosphere in which participants can listen to each other with care, speak with respect, and make useful contributions. The result is a high level of participant satisfaction with the meeting's organization, focus on goals, and tangible accomplishments.
Based on the needs of each group, I blend a variety of approaches mastered through formal training in Appreciative Inquiry, Consensus Building, FrameWorks Institute Strategic Frame Analysis™, Graphic Recording and Facilitation, Open Space Technology, PeerSpirit Circling, Polarity Management™, Strategic Collaboration, and World Café. I also completed training programs with Kolbe Corp. that focused on team building, successful hiring, leadership development, employee motivation and retention, and conflict resolution; and with McFletcher Corp. that focused on workplace and workforce alignment.
I use a structured and flexible approach that respects the unique composition of each group and catalyzes the conversations that need to happen to get the job done. The process may include:
- Mapping interconnections and influences
- Prioritizing needs
- Developing, implementing, and measuring activities
- Sustaining momentum to achieve objectives
- Preparing reports and recommendations
Past projects include:
- Facilitating board/staff strategic planning and educational initiatives and retreats for O'Connor House, St. Luke's Health Initiatives, Arizona Behavioral Health Corp./Arizona Foundation for Behavioral Health, Phoenix Revitalization Corp., Delta Dental of Arizona Foundation, Keogh Health Connection, University of Arizona Medical School – Phoenix/Dept. of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Arizona Dental Association, Arizona Dental Foundation, Arizona Foundation for Women, Adelante Healthcare, Maricopa County Association of Family Mediators, Arizona Health-e Connection Consumer Advisory Council, and the American College of Physicians-AZ Chapter, among others.
- Facilitating community stakeholder meetings for Mesa Public Schools Facilities Planning Committee and Gilbert Public Schools Gifted Education Vision Committee.
- Developing curriculum and conducting customer service training for Mountain Park Health Center medical assistants and customer service representatives.
- Designing and facilitating 2011 Communities in Schools Western Convening.
- Facilitating collaborative sessions for Communities for All Ages on statewide leadership structure and for the Arizona Cancer Coalition on cancer disparities.
- Moderating “A Community Conversation on Immigration & Health Care in Arizona,” a gathering of 85 health and human services providers and community members, sponsored by the Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum and the Health Through Action Arizona Collaborative Partnership.
- Designing and facilitating workshops on Collaborative Facilitation and Communication Skills for the Community Impact Department of Valley of the Sun United Way.
- Facilitating a community forum for Maricopa Community Colleges' Center for Civic Participation.
- St. Luke’s Health Initiatives Technical Assistance Partnership (TAP) consultant for facilitating the development of:
- Cultivate South Phoenix, a collaborative coalition promoting community wellness.
- An alliance formed by the People of Color Network to create a program plan for a peer/family-run enterprise to enhance behavioral health services provided to culturally diverse transition-age youth and adults.
- A Maricopa County oral health alliance.
- A behavioral health peer and family coalition to participate in service program design.
- A collaborative effort to develop an online resource directory for women veterans in Arizona.
- Facilitating a series of meetings with Phoenix Country Day School parents and faculty to uncover important issues and underlying values, and encourage candid and solution-focused discussions.
- Moderating the Governor's Arizona Health Coverage Policy Summit: Building Affordable Healthcare Options for Small Business (November 2006), to provide business and community leaders with action-oriented knowledge, models, and tools to advance access to affordable care in our communities; explore in depth, with national and local experts, coverage models being used in other states and proposed nationally; and stimulate local stakeholders to create, lead, and participate in local initiatives that will make healthcare coverage a reality for all Arizona small businesses.
- Assisting the faculty of a medical residency program in identifying their vision, mission, and steps needed to improve their effectiveness as a department. After follow-up workshops, faculty reported improvements in communication, problem solving, and collegial support.
BoardSource Certified Governance Trainer
For nearly 25 years, BoardSource has been supporting and promoting excellence in nonprofit board service by providing cutting-edge thinking and resources on board effectiveness and by engaging and developing the next generation of board leaders. BoardSource has long recognized the critical role that boards play in overseeing their organization's mission, finance, and strategic direction. It has become a go-to resource for funders, partners, and nonprofit leaders who want to magnify their impact within the community through exceptional governance practices. BoardSource Certified Governance Trainers are a select group that is proficient in board governance topics, advanced facilitation techniques, and the BoardSource training methodology.
As a BoardSource Certified Governance Trainer, I offer curriculum in:
- Roles & Responsibilities of Nonprofit Boards
- Board-Staff Partnership
- Board Structure
- Board's Role in Fundraising
- The Board-Building Cycle
- Board Performance Assessment
Please contact me to learn more about these trainings or to schedule a program for your nonprofit.